The trailer features an optional chariot style nose guard to protect the cargo from potential stone damage from the tow vehicle. This is particularly useful on long-haul trips and on dirt roads. The design also includes handy features like tie-down hooks, double safety chains and chequer plate bed that could be either full width or strip. The assembly guide included in the plans will assist you in the construction and give you lots of guidance on brakes, axles, suspension and other components.
Key features of this design
- Low ride bed height with generously long ramps for ease of loading
- Over 1.5T load capacity
- 4.5m long bed area with 1.95m between mudguards (max width)
- Quick ramp deployment and storage
- Spare wheel storage on drawbar
- Economic material selection and usage
- Simple fabrication and assembly methods, no specialist equipment required
This single axle flatbed trailer will require brakes to be fitted. Over-ride brakes (mechanical or hydraulic) are only permitted up to 2000kg GTM (about 2200kg ATM with a 200kg ball load). An emergency brake unit (ie: Brake-Away) is required above 2000kg GTM. We also recommend the use of an efficient handbrake.
Plans conform to the Australian National Code of Practice – Building Small Trailers (VSB1). Trailers built to comply with this code of practice can be registered for on-road use in Australia.
Please take note of load area size (length & width) and make sure it suits you needs, especially for larger vehicles.
- A single PDF document for your download and viewing convenience
- 10 detailed part & assembly drawings (print to A4 or A3)
- All dimensions required including ISO weld symbols
- 10 pages of comprehensive work & assembly instructions
- 11 Additional component and instructional drawings
- Electrical wiring diagram including round & flat plug wiring detail
- Complete parts list of all manufactured & purchased components
- Complete cut list of all steel sections
- Detailed (enlarged) views of tricky or important bits
- Welding details – where & how much of it
- A design that conforms to legal requirements
- Purchased item specifications
- Safety guidelines during construction
- Tools required
- Pictures & handy hints
- DXF files for parts that can be laser cut (optional free download)
Get your plans immediately after completing secure checkout through PayPal so you can be up and running straight away.
Download file is in PDF format for easy viewing and printing from any device. A number of DXF and EXCEL files are available as a FREE separate download after purchase. Details of this, including a secure site password is given in the PDF file that you will receive.